Monday, April 25, 2011

Week Twelve: Staci Smith

For its final stop before returning to New Mexico The Best Little Bead Box (in its current five incarnations!) is staying in Pennsylvania, more specifically at the home of Staci Smith in Pennsburg.

photo courtesy of Tammy Snyder

Occupation (either bead-related or non-bead related): stay at home mom- jewelry designer
Website: www.stacilouiseoriginals.com  
Blog: www.stacilouise.blogspot.com
Facebook Fan Page:  staci louise originals

How long have you been a beader/jewelry maker?
since I was about 12....when I used to make earrings with beads and head pins.

Why do you want to participate in the Best Little Bead Box project? 
Heaven knows I have beads to share, and if my bead addiction can help others, then that would be great!!!

Have beads changed your life? How? 
Yes. I have always been an artist. When I began to have kids, and stay home, I needed something I could do- to feel creative, something for just me. So I began to make jewelry- since it has always been a love of mine. Making jewelry has allowed me to help earn some money for my family, as well as be able to bless others with jewelry fundraisers, and gifts. I love to be able to give someone a handmade gift they can wear for years and years, made just for them. It makes me feel like there is a little piece of me out in the world.

Do you consider yourself a beginner, intermediate or advanced beader/jewelry maker?
Intermediate / advanced

How did you get started working with beads? 
Sprung from a love of gemstones, beads were just another way to collect gemstones and wear them....then pearls, then art beads- so I just started buying them and teaching myself all the different ways they can be used with books and learning from friends, ect...

If you were a bead, what kind would you be? Why? 
a handmade bead of some sort- ceramic, pmc, ect........because someone put their heart into them, and their style, and I would be a little piece of artist.

If you were stranded on a desert island and could have only one kind of bead with you, what would it be and why? 
ceramic raku focals.....I love the shimmers and crackles and they would look great in the sun on a desert island :)

What is the best advice you've ever received from a bead artist, teacher or beading friend?

be yourself, find your style, don't design to please anyone else

What was the best beady gift that you have ever received? What was the best beady gift that you ever gave to someone else?
Received: an Artisan Clay necklace from my friend Kristie Roeder. It has little greenish blue ceramic squares, and picture jasper with wire links. It goes with almost anything and is sooo super comfortable to wear.

Gave: I made a PMC necklace (pmc focal) with heart and wings for a friend that just lost a child, in the back I stamped his name and inserted his birthstone. It was just something I felt compelled to do, in hopes that it would bless them in some small way.

Aside from beading, do you do any other crafts? What are they?
painting

What three words would best describe your current bead stash?
pearls, artisan beads, gemstones

Please include a photograph of your very best piece of beadwork, if you have one available.






2 comments:

  1. thats a great blog post staci!!! your work is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous necklaces, Staci. I love your combination of metal and stone!

    ReplyDelete