Saturday, February 19, 2011

Week Three - Amy Blevins

Amy Blevins of Pitman, New Jersey, will have The Best Little Bead Box to "play" with in the coming week.


Occupation:
Financial Advisor (yes, I still have a full-time career) AND Bead Shop owner

Website: 
www.BeadAndGlass.com

Blog:
http://fastfuriousbeader.blogspot.com/

Facebook Fan Page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pitman-NJ/Bead-Glass-Boutique/61978214939

Facebook Personal Page:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1285971285

 


How long have you been a beader/jewelry maker?
7-8 years

Why do you want to participate in the Best Little Bead Box project?
This is a wonderful project, for an amazing cause. I’ve watched the first round with awe and excitement for each participant’s post.

Have beads changed your life? How?
Yes. Oh gosh…
Well, it all started with a beaded bookmark & a need for stress relief.
Migrating into massive amounts of stringing, crimping, and wire-wrapped loops.
Followed shortly thereafter by buying in bulk & selling online.
Dove into lampwork glass bead making.
Leading to today’s venture – a full blown brick and mortar retail bead store, allowing me to enhance others’ lives by teaching customers their own beading stress relief techniques.
So, all in all, I’d say “yes,” its kind of changed things a little bit.
Have loved every waking minute of it.

Do you consider yourself a beginner, intermediate or advanced beader/jewelry maker?
Advanced

How did you get started working with beads?
My full time career is in a high-stress executive position. I used to do a lot of fictional reading to take my mind off my rough days.
EBay provided not only a place to find used books but also unique bookmarks.
During one perusing adventure, I located a beaded bookmark (sometimes referred to a book thong). One trip to a local big-box craft store was all it took! Bead-love inception.

If you were a bead, what kind would you be? Why?
Lampwork Glass
Glass always has been and always will be, even though it can change its format.
My life is a constant evolution of change and ventures. Its just fitting.

If you were stranded on a desert island and could have only one kind of bead with you, what would it be and why? Seed beads - versatility

What is the best advice you've ever received from a bead artist, teacher or beading friend?
Take your time, it doesn’t need to be perfect and there’s no prize for first done.

Do you have a particular quote that you think reflects your personal philosophies? If yes, please share it.
“Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks”

What was the best beady gift that you have ever received? What was the best beady gift that you ever gave to someone else? The best beading gift I ever received was from a generous fellow eBay friend. She had been making lampwork beads on a hot head for quite some time. When she upgraded to a dual fuel torch, she so very kindly sent me her hot head and the attachments necessary to get me started.
I have since graduated into my own dual fuel torches, but will never forget the enthusiasm and good-hearted gesture she shared with me.

The best gift I’ve shared with someone… I’ve had a very great customer of mine stand in front of me in tears, thanking me for being ‘there.’ She was referring to opening the retail Boutique. Apparently when she found us, she had been struggling with something very important in her life. She admitted that we (the shop, the staff, and our friendship) was her saving grace. She spent a lot of time shopping, beading, and sharing ideas with all of us. Two and a half years later, she was pulling me aside, telling me how important we are in her life, thanking me for everyday we have had our doors open to give her a place to escape.
While this is a business for me, I’d be remiss if I didn’t recognize that beading isn’t just about profits, its about sharing.

Aside from beading, do you do any other crafts? What are they?
Not anymore…

What three words would best describe your current bead stash?
Diverse
Like old friends – always there when you need them (ok, that's more than three words...)
Out-of-control

No comments:

Post a Comment