Saturday, March 26, 2011

Week Eight: Nikia Angel

Our two, at this point very heavy, boxes have found their way back into New Mexico, to the home of Nikia Angel in Albuquerque. It will be fun to see what Nikia takes and gives over the next week.


Occupation (either bead-related or non-bead related): Bead Artisan/designer
Website: www.buythekit.com
Blog: n/a
Facebook Fan Page: Buy the Kit

How long have you been a beader/jewelry maker? 
I have been beading since I was 7, obsessively for the last 22 years.

Why do you want to participate in the Best Little Bead Box project? 
Sounds like a fun way to connect to fellow beaders and I have some cool stuff to pass along! And, it is for an excellent cause.

Have beads changed your life? How?
Beads are my life.  Beads have given me the wherewithall to build the life I lead and love. 

Do you consider yourself a beginner, intermediate or advanced beader/jewelry maker? 
I consider myself advanced in some aspects and intermediate in others, but rank beginner with RAW and bead crochet!

How did you get started working with beads? 
My nanny (maternal gmother) taught me to do loomwork when I was spending the summer with her in 1960.

If you were a bead, what kind would you be? Why? 
I am a bead...a human bead.  We all are.  Stand straight, look at the sky and open your mouth...you are a bead.  But otherwise I'd be a vintage swarovski crystal.

If you were stranded on a desert island and could have only one kind of bead with you, what would it be and why? 
seed beads...11s would be best.  Because with them you can make pretty much whatever you want.

What is the best advice you've ever received from a bead artist, teacher or beading friend? 
Spread the joy.  Try to teach as many people as you can to move our artform forward.  If we don't teach and inspire the next generation of beaders, it could die.

Do you have a particular quote that you think reflects your personal philosophies? If yes, please share it.
Leave the world a better place. Play nice.

What was the best beady gift that you have ever received? What was the best beady gift that you ever
gave to someone else? 

The time and freedom to follow my bliss (continually given to me by my husband) and my husband's unwavering support of my efforts.  Best gift I've given would be teaching my daughters to bead and letting them rummage in my bead room for supplies.

Aside from beading, do you do any other crafts? What are they?
Not really...beads are pretty much it.

What three words would best describe your current bead stash? 
Unique, very large, sparkly

Please include a photograph of your very best piece of beadwork, if you have one available.

Dunno if it's my very best, but it is my current very favorite!


No comments:

Post a Comment