Friday, November 26, 2010

Week Nine: Leslie Frazier

Our boxes get to stay in California for another week, this time at the home of Leslie Frazier, our ninth beader.  Leslie has developed some unique variations of off-loom bead-weaving techniques, including Twisted Ribbon Ndebele and 3-Dimensional Spiraling Ndebele, included in Carol Wilcox Wells’ book, The Art and Elegance of Beadweaving.  She is also well known for her innovative designs using pinch beads, aka three-sided oval beads.  Combining Ndebele stitch and peyote stitch led to the creation of several popular floral designs.  Recently her work was included in the Lark book, Masters: Beadweaving.  Her work can be seen on her website: www.lesliefrazier.com,  and on Facebook: Leslie Frazier/Photos.

Here's what Leslie says about our project and her beading:   Thank you, Carol Dean Sharpe and Jennifer Van Benschoten for organizing The Best Little Bead Box!  I feel very lucky to have been chosen to take part, knowing it will result in a donation to such a worthy cause to help children, Beads of Courage.  And of course, I’m very excited to see the contents!

I’ve been beading off and on since childhood.  When I began learning beadweaving stitches in 1994, I found I couldn’t stop, and beading has continued to fascinate me like no other artistic endeavor.  I was lucky to study with inspiring teachers, Carol Wilcox Wells, NanC Meinhardt, and Robin Atkins early on, learning much more than beading from them.  Since 1996, I’ve had the great pleasure of teaching students throughout the United States, Japan and Canada.

I find beadwork extremely time-consuming, yet meditative and satisfying.  It's hard to say which I enjoy more, playing with beads and surprising myself with something new and beautiful, or watching what happens when the students in my classes combine my design or technique with their own perspectives and color palettes to fashion something with a whole new look.  Another reason I love teaching is the opportunity to be with so many people who feel the desire to create jewelry that is personal and made with pride, instead of being content with mass-produced items. 

It will be fun to see how Leslie adds to our boxes...and of course to see what she decides to keep for herself.

~~~

If you are interested in being one of the twelve beader for Round 2 of The Best Little Bead Box, please submit your application by December 1, 2010. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment